Monday, August 12, 2013

My triumphal return to blogging

Greetings, everyone!

Some of you may know me from college, or from past jobs, or from random Internet kerfluffles. Some of you may have been specifically invited to start reading this blog. Some of you may have stumbled upon this randomly and have no idea who I am.

That's fine. Welcome!

I'm a Renaissance man, insomniac and all around weird guy. Most of you who know me know that already.

Since I was a wee lad my obsession has been with acting and performance, whether it involved improvising cruel impressions of teachers on the school bus or giving heartfelt line readings of Macbeth in English class or hijacking the school announcements to insert my controversial political opinions.

As I got older and I successfully passed through puberty and learned to fake some measure of social maturity, I learned to find other outlets for my attention-seeking urges. Improv, stand-up, acting in Shakespeare productions...

But the one gift that always outshone the others was my voice. After enough people had paid me the backhanded compliment of telling me that my deep, rich, baritone voice sounds "absolutely nothing like the way I look", I decided to stop narrating my own internal monologue for free and start narrating other people's written monologues for money.

After all, it's just voiceover. How hard could it be?

Many years later, many lessons later and many sleepless frenzied nights in front of the mic in my home studio whispering "Why does it still not sound right?!" later, I've started booking jobs regularly, I've made a decent amount of money and I'm ready to come out of the closet to you all as Arthur Chu, VO Pro With A Blog.

Everything I've read about networking, social media marketing, creating customer engagement, developing a brand identity, etc. mostly boils down to the fact that however it is you do it, you have to do it by actually talking to people and not sitting at home playing video games, so this blog is my first public step into the world of letting people know who I am and what I do.

And it's already pretty late, so I'll leave you for now with an admonition:

Watch this space. There is more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment